Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A riff



It's been two-and-a-half years since my first Tuesday's With Dorie post, and after hell and high water -- or, work and too many social engagements -- keeping me from fulfilling my TWD obligations every now and again, I've been back on track and, finally, it is my turn to pick this week's recipe from Baking: From My Home to Yours.
Since I first read about an online baking group attempting a recipe from Dorie's tome of tried and true breads, cakes, pies, and puddings each week then writing about their results along with the rest of the group, I've wanted to be a part of it. I figured that it would encourage me to bake more often, and bake things that I wouldn't normally choose to bake myself for whatever reason. In these last couple of years, I've learned that the moment Swiss buttercream comes together is a wondrous event, crystallized ginger can be revived through steaming, rugelach may be my favorite pastry, and the freezer is every baker's friend -- all valuable lessons that will serve me well in this lifetime.
As a relative late-comer to the group, and not the most diligent blogger, there weren't too many recipes left to choose from, however, my pick of Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones could not be more appropriate. That this is a scone recipe already has my name all over it -- I've proclaimed my love for them. And my coworkers can attest that my preferred breakfast of champions is a bowl of doctored-up oatmeal. Nearly every weekday morning, I heat up a bowl of old-fashioned oats and water on medium power for five minutes, along with chopped dried apricot, cherry, and whatever nut I have on hand, then finish it off with a puddle of soy or almond milk and generous dashes of cinammon and nutmeg. Nutmeg, oh, nutmeg. Oatmeal just isn't the same with out you. I'm liberal with the spice anytime a Dorie recipe calls for it, and even when it doesn't. There's a reason why I love my Microplane so much, and it has a lot to do with grating whole nutmeg.
Another wonderful, ingredients straight-out-of-the-fridge quick bread recipe, these scones are perfect for mornings when you aim to please but are short on time. The dough was noticeably more wet than the Maple Cornmeal Biscuits from last week, so cutting them into triangles and transferring them to the baking sheet was a bit messy (flouring a dough-cutter before each cut helps), but the resulting product was tender, buttery, and aromatic. The oatmeal added some heft to the pastry, so a couple of these would definitely hold me over until lunchtime, and they were a satisfying vehicle for rich, Kerrygold butter and vibrant, apricot jam as well. Oatmeal, nutmeg, apricot jam? substitute the buttermilk for almond milk, throw a handful of nuts in the dough and I think I've got my new breakfast of champions...

Oatmeal Nutmeg Scones
from Baking: From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

makes 12 scones


1 large egg
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons(10 tablespoons) cold unstaled butter, cut into small pieces

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a bking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.

Stir the egg and buttermilk together.

Whisk the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Drop in the butter and, using your fingers, toss to coat the pieces of butter with flour. Quickly, working with your fingertips (my favorite method) or a pastry blender, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly. You'll have pea-size pieces, pieces the size of oatmeal flakes and pieces the size of everything in between -- and that's just right.

Pour the egg and buttermilk mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until the dough, which will be wet and sticky, comes together. Don't overdo it.

Still in the bowl, gently knead the dough by hand, or turn it with a rubber spatula 8 to 10 times. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and divide it in half. Working with one piece at a time, pat the dough into a rough circle that's about 5 inches in diameter, cut it into 6 wedges and place on the baking sheet. (At this point, the scones can be frozen on the baking sheet, then wrapped airtight. Don't defrost before baking -- just add about 2 minutes to the baking time.)

Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, or until their tops are golden and firmish. Transfer them to a rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving, or wait for the scones to cool to room temperature.

12 comments:

  1. Yum.....fellow nutmeg lover here...I agree...these oatmeal scones were wonderful and something I never would have tried if you hadn't picked them. Thanks for hosting a great recipe. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a most excellent pick for us oatmeal and nutmeg lovers. Not to mention, it's just a great, easy scone. I love your riff on the original.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a great pick this week! It's my first time making scones and it was surprisingly easy if messy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been looking forward to this recipe for a long, long time, so I'm thrilled that you chose it for your week! Love oatmeal, love nutmeg, could ditto the whole post, actually!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick. I've already had some see it on my blog today and ask for the recipe because it doesn't show up on your blog that I've directed them to. ?
    I haven't given it out yet, since we're not really supposed to. But I did a Google search and someone posted it a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so excited to see these finally picked! I've made them many, many times. My favorite addition is cinnamon chips. Apricots sound really good, too--going to have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait till you post the recipe...very anxious to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure was fun baking with you this week! Great pick! I wish mine turned out more light and fluffy...alas, that wasn't to be. Next time, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious scones with infinite variations. Thanks for choosing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. new to your blog and loving all these scone recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ciao ! I finally late posted your delicious choice, thanks for hosting !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm.. these scones look and sound delicious! This is definitely my pick for my next "Sugary Sunday" recipe!

    ReplyDelete